Friday, January 4, 2013

Men in Kilts

About 6:30 PM, December 16th, I get a call from a fellow author, reviewer, and good friend, Faith Smith. She'd put her own spin on the sonnet, 'Twas the Night before Christmas, and wanted to know if my husband, cover model, Evan Scott, would be interested in sending her a picture to go along with her rendition of the poem for her blog.

My role, as Evan's manager, was to find out what kind of picture she required. I grinned as she described what she wanted, figuring I'd have to ply him with a few drinks to get him to agree. She wanted a hunk in a kilt, brandishing a sword. Maybe some sort of Christmas background.

Now don't get me wrong here...he could do it with no problem, but for the last few years he's shied away from the cover modeling gigs, feeling he was too old, and too out of shape, to do any pictures the justice they deserved. I totally disagree with him, but I respect his wishes. Faith is also a good friend of Evan's, so it didn't take much arm-twisting from Faith for him to agree.

If you've kept up with my posts, you know we're in the middle of a major remodel. Our studio is in our front entry area. We have a blue screen we usually pull down, so any background can be added, either from me, or the publisher's cover artist. This requires space, as we need to set up the camera, lights, and any peripherals we might need, like wind devices, fog machines, etc. But right now this area is crowded by lots of boxes awaiting a new home, so this option was not available for this photoshoot. We also didn't put up a Christmas tree this year for the same reason; no room.


We do have a fireplace though, which I know is a rarity for Florida, but it's worked for many of the stock photographs we've supplied to publishers over the years, and seemed like it would work for what Faith wanted. So I pulled out some garland and draped it around the mantel. Evan donned his kilt, found the sword we'd purchased years ago, and began to pose for me...uh, for Faith's photo.

Even with my blindness, I knew our lighting sucked. So I just moved around, shot the picture, moved some more, shot more pictures, and hoped I had something Faith would like. It's at this point I need to give kudos to Evan. He's done this enough times that he knew how to move, how to pose, for the absolute best picture.

We worked with the light on the ceiling fan, hoping to get the flare placed at the tip of the sword. Unfortunately we couldn't quite get that to work, but we went with what we had. I couldn't choose between 3 of them, so I sent them all to Faith.

Within minutes I get a phone call from her.

Faith: "Are ya tryin' to give me a heart attack lady?"

Me: "What do you mean? Didn't you like them?"

Faith: "Of course I did. They took my breath away, hence the heart attack. But I don't know which one to choose."

Me: Laughing. "Well that's your problem, not mine."

Faith: "I like them all."

Me: Snicker. "Then post all of them."

Faith: Heavy sigh. "Thanks a lot!"

So I guess she finally made her choice, as seen above.

Have I mentioned how much I love my job? It's a hard life, being married to, and managing a cover model, but hey, someone's got to do it, right?

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go stare at these pictures a bit more. Happy Holidays!

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment